Wallingford-Swarthmore School District is a midsized, suburban public school district in south-eastern Delaware County, Pennsylvania in the United States.
It serves the boroughs of Swarthmore, Rose Valley and Rutledge, and the township of Nether Providence (consisting largely of the unincorporated community of Wallingford). Encompasses approximately 7 square miles.
According to 2000 federal census data, it serves a resident population of 21,430.
The school district has one high school, one middle school, and three elementary schools.
Wallingford-Swarthmore schools are highly regarded, and the district is one of the best in suburban Philadelphia. Strath Haven High School has won two Blue Ribbons of Excellence, and in 2004 Wallingford Elementary School received one from the state and one from the National government.
Over the years, the schools of the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District have earned numerous honors and distinctions. A selective listing of these achievements includes:
• Nether Providence Elementary, Swarthmore-Rutledge, Wallingford Elementary, and Strath Haven High School have all been recognized by the US Department of Education as National Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence.
• Strath Haven High School has recently been recognized as one of “America’s Outstanding High Schools” by US News & World Report and Newsweek magazines.
• Philadelphia Magazine has consistently ranked Strath Haven High School as one of the top performing high schools in the region.
• The College Board recognizes Strath Haven High School as a national “Advanced Placement Honor Roll School.”
• Strath Haven Middle School’s Science Olympiad Team has finished first or second in Pennsylvania, and among the top 20 schools nationally from 2010-2013.
• Strath Haven High School fields the largest marching band in Pennsylvania and has consistently produced numerous student musicians accepted into PA All-State Band, Chorus, and Orchestra, as well as Eastern US and National performing ensembles.
• Two student musicians from Strath Haven Middle School have recently given solo performances with the Philadelphia Orchestra.
• The Strath Haven High School Mock Trial Team has won the Delaware County Championship in seven of the last 10 years.
• Nether Providence Elementary School’s Reading Olympics Team has won the Delaware County Reading Olympics for three consecutive years.
• The Strath Haven High School Robotics Team has earned two championships in Philadelphia Regional competition.
• Strath Haven High School’s 2009 “Relay for Life” was the top secondary school per capita fundraising event in the nation.